Monday, April 7, 2014

"Daisy Cola?" I Don't Think So.

Wow. Has it been almost a year since I posted anything?

Well, that's the good thing about a hobby. You can leave it for a while and come back anytime.

I've been quite busy modeling. Remodeling, actually, in real life 1:1 scale. I redid a kitchen, plus finished several other smaller projects.

As rewarding as that is, it's fun to get back to miniatures.

I bought a set of Woodland Scenics O scale bicycles, which came with a few youth figures and a soda machine. The machine appears to be based on a Vendo, with a color scheme strongly inspired by the famous name-brand cola with the red label.

However, it's labeled "Daisy Cola." I guess Woodland Scenics didn't want to go through the hassle of licensing rights and all that. (Although I don't understand why companies don't grant permission regularly for reproduction items -- it is free advertising, after all.)


I wasn't going to be happy with Daisy Cola. I decided to make a change. Using a color laser printer, I printed a few copies of the classic Coca-Cola logo in various sizes.

I painted over the Daisy Cola logo with some white acrylic. Then I applied the new logos using a method I learned about years ago in an article about Fine Scale Miniatures' founder George Sellios. I sanded the back of the print paper until I got it as thin as I dared, then applied it using thinned white glue. It's not quite as effective as a decal, but it's pretty close.


I also applied smaller logos to the sides. While I was at it, I touched up the paint elsewhere on the machine. I darkened the door panel to look more like glass, added some spots to the dispenser rack, and straightened out the lines a bit.

That's more like it. Although I'm still partial to my scratch built O scale soda machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment